Wellington Central Baptist Church – Statement of Call
We are seeking expressions of interest from candidates for the position of Lead Pastor. If you think God may be calling you to serve with and through our church, we’d love to hear from you. Enquiries and expressions of interest can be sent in confidence to the Search Committee
Central aspires to be a diverse, caring, inclusive Christ-centred community. We seek to provide a spiritual home for people with various experiences of life and faith.
As a church we believe God is inviting us to:
- Help people encounter God and disciple people to grow as followers of Jesus
- Welcome new people to Central and connect people into our church community
- Respond to God’s calling to justice and mercy through taking care of people who are poor or marginalised in our community
- Engage with our city through service, ministry and evangelism to the students who live in our street and surrounding community.
We’re located in central Wellington and have a long history of strategic partnerships with ministries in our city and beyond. We respond to God’s call to care for our world collectively and personally through our involvement with these ministries. Central House, our tertiary students’ hostel is also an important part of our church.
We belong to the Baptist family of churches in Aotearoa and are therefore committed to principles of congregational governance and the priesthood of all believers. We also have a commitment to supporting New Zealand Baptist initiatives regionally, nationally and globally.
We are seeking a pastor who loves and serves God through implementing the example and teachings of Jesus. The candidate will uphold Central’s Baptist values of congregational governance and lead Central in partnership with the deacons and other leadership teams in the church.
The ideal candidate will have theological training and prior experience in a New Zealand Baptist context. However, we also welcome other qualified candidates who are willing to make a commitment to the Baptist ethos of Central. The Lead Pastor will have the opportunity to be involved in future staff appointments to fill out the pastoral team.
The ideal candidate will have:
- Theological training
- A strong background in Biblical teaching
- Strategic, visionary thinking
- Prior experience as a pastor or in a Christian leadership role, ideally in a New Zealand Baptist context
- Experience working in a leadership role within a team
- Strong pastoral care skills
They will be willing to:
- Empower others to become more involved in the life of the church
- Join with us in our bicultural journey through learning about and engaging with Te Tiriti, te reo Māori and tikanga Māori
- Lead a welcoming, multicultural church
- Lead a LGBTQIA+ friendly church
- Celebrate women in leadership in the church
Candidates must have the right to live and work in New Zealand. Applicants will be subject to a police check.